Well, I've reached the unmistakable conclusion that I will not be able to finish the last piano sonatina before the end of the year, which is depressing as hell because I was really looking forward to finally being done with the five piano sonatinas and I was really looking forward to starting the new year with much more interesting music. Oh, well, that is what comes with setting a goal and sticking to it. I mean, setting the goal of doing five piano sonatinas. I know I could have stopped with four, and I am really rather proud of that Sonatina in C minor. But, I just wanted to stick with it.
Of course, I didn't know this last one was just going to spiral all out of control. The first movement alone is eight minutes. Scared the hell out of me while I was working on it. These sonatinas are supposed to be short. The whole thing is supposed to clock in at eight to ten minutes at most. Not just the first movement. I can't decided if it even qualifies as a sonatina because of the length, but I've made the decision. Screw it. I'm calling it a sonatina even if the whole thing winds up clocking in at twenty minutes. It's my damn music, and I can call it any damn thing I want.
And, even after I realized that the damn thing was going all crazy and spiraling out of control, I tried to do everything I could to reign it in. I didn't repeat the exposition. I tried to truncate the recapitulation, but the first and second themes just refused to be shortened. Taking a piece out just left the section flopping around like a dead fish. And, then there was the coda. The damn coda. I tried to make it short. I kept cutting it down. But, I quickly discovered that I had built up so much momentum over the course of the movement that the damn thing sounded like it just crashed into a brick wall if I shortened it. So, I kept having to add to it and add to it. And, the damn thing just kept getting longer and longer. And, finally, it screeched to a halt without sounding too much like the Keystone Cops falling all over each other.
So, I've got eight minutes and four hundred and something measures, which has also got me puzzling over the presentation. I mean, I've done all of the other sonatinas as single MP3 files and single Scorch files, but I don't know if I want to do that this time. The whole thing will just be so damn huge. I think I'm going to have to leave each movement as a separate MP3 and Scorch file. After all, the Red King Outgrabe is three separate files so I think I've got precedent for leaving three separate files. It's not really what I want to do. I want the five piano sonatinas to be consistent in presentation, but I think I'm just going to have to make the exception.
So, yeah, I don't know how long the whole thing is going to be. And, at this point, I'm really just hoping I can finish the second movement before the end of the year. Unfortunately, even that isn't looking too promising. I just had to throw out all of my work on the B section because it was just so different from the A section that it didn't work. I know I was going for contrast, but you reach the B section and it is as if you've just suddenly crashed into a completely different work. Damn, but that isn't how it is supposed to go. So, I'm trying to salvage what I can. I think. And, I really am pretty desperately hopeful about this. I think I can salvage something out of my discarded B section material. I don't know how much. I don't know if it is going to work, but I'm trying. I think I can make it work. I don't know. We shall see. The whole second movement has been giving me fits, and I'm oscillating pretty wildly between thinking it is good and thinking it is the most awful piece of crap that I have ever tried to make. There is so much oom-pah-pah that it just makes me want to wretch. Then, I try to change it, and it just doesn't work. Nothing works except oom-pah-pah. Driving me nuts.
Oh, well, we shall see how it goes.